In Alexandra College Junior School, we have a very strong Learning Support programme. The class teachers and the Learning Support teachers work very closely together to optimise the teaching and learning process to enable students with learning difficulties to achieve their full potential in literacy and numeracy. Students work individually or in small groups with the Learning Support teachers who are aided by a wide range of up-to-date resources and continuous professional development.
Our programme is based on the following principles:
- Inclusion and respect for all, irrespective of their ability level
- Early identification and timely intervention
- Direction of resources towards students in greatest need
- Teaching the Touch-type Read and Spell (TTRS) Programme to students whose learning is enhanced by assistive technologies
- Collaboration between class teacher, Learning Support team, educational psychologists and parents