Take a Break with 4Y
Hey all, welcome back to our cook off, where we assign a recipe, and you cook it! Send us a picture of your fabulous dish to us at firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday latest 4pm !
Chicken Katsu Curry
- 4 tbsp rapeseed oil or vegetable oil
- 2 x 200g pouches cooked rice (we used brown basmati)
- ½ large cucumber, peeled into ribbons
- handful mint leaves or coriander leaves, or both
- lime wedges, to serve
For the curry sauce
- 1 tbsp rapeseed oil or vegetable oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped, plus 1 peeled into ribbons
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- thumb-sized piece ginger, peeled and grated or finely chopped
- 1 tbsp curry powder, mild or medium depending on your spice tolerance
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- 400ml can coconut milk
- 2 tsp maple syrup (or use honey if not cooking for vegans)
For the katsu
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 8 chicken mini fillets, or a 280-300g block firm tofu, or half and half
- 200g breadcrumbs (gluten-free if necessary)
- First, make the curry sauce. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan, cook the onions and chopped carrots until the onions are soft and starting to caramelise, about 8 mins. Add the garlic and ginger and sizzle for another 30 secs, then stir in the curry powder and turmeric. Once the spices are warmed through, add the coconut milk, maple syrup or honey and 100ml water. Season well, cover and simmer over a low heat for 20 mins.
- Now make the katsu. In a wide bowl, mix the cornflour with 4 tbsp water and some seasoning. Dip the chicken or tofu into the flour mixture (if cooking for both vegans and meat eaters, make sure you dip the tofu first to avoid mixing it with meat). Place the breadcrumbs in another bowl and dip the chicken or tofu in it, turning until well coated.
- When the onions and carrots in the curry sauce are soft, blitz using a hand or table-top blender. If the sauce is too thick, add a little more water, check the seasoning, adding more salt, maple syrup or some lime juice, if you like. Keep warm.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and cook the chicken or tofu for 4-5 mins on each side until golden and cooked through. Warm the rice and divide between bowls. Top with the curry sauce, katsu chicken or tofu, and serve with the cucumber, carrot ribbons, herbs and lime wedges.
The Social Outreach module is taking place on Tuesday afternoons, replacing Performance for fourth years. Usually this module involves helping people within the community, for example, helping the elderly with technology. This year however, due to COVID-19, we have decided to work with the Junior School over zoom. This involves creating interactive, fun videos such as origami making and egg painting for the kids to enjoy. The younger children tend to struggle with being on zoom for the full school day, so we hope that our videos allow them to have a break from zoom and maybe learn a new skill.
Joanna Loughran and Saskia O’Connor
Book - To Kill a Mocking Bird by Harper Lee
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee is a well-known novel published in 1960. It focuses on many important themes such as prejudice.
Show - Gilmore Girls (2000-2007)
Gilmore Girls is a 2000’s comedy-drama written by Amy-Sherman Palladino, starring Lauren Graham and Alexis Bledel. It is about a mother and daughter living in the fictional town of Stars Hollow.
Song - Blinding Lights by The Weeknd
Blinding lights by The Weeknd has been on the charts for 63 weeks. This song has been considered the song of 2020, and this song led the Weeknd to perform at the Super Bowl this year.