3rd Years will be completing their OAL forms this year for their Junior Cycle Profile of Achievement (JCPA). The deadline for completion is Monday 3 April 2023.
OALs stand for “Other Areas of Learning”. This is a record of students’ non-academic achievements within the school community during their first three years in secondary school. OALs are recorded on students' Junior Cycle Profile of Achievement (JCPA) along with their State examinations grades and CBA descriptors. Students submit their top 3 (maximum 5) OALs for inclusion on their JCPA to showcase their involvement in extra-curricular activities within the school over the last three years of Junior Cycle. Students also mention what skills they learned from taking part in these activities. Examples of this include:
- Specific awards for sporting or cultural achievements in 1st, 2nd and 3rd Year.
- Membership of School sports teams (e.g. hockey, basketball, athletics, tennis etc.).
- School leadership role (e.g. Class captain, Sports team captain or other).
- Membership of other (non-sporting) extra-curricular activities (e.g. School Choir, Debating Team, DramSoc etc.).
- Taking part in the organisation of a charity fundraising event in the school (e.g. Shoe Box Appeal, Christmas Jumper Days, Bake Sales etc.).
- Performing in a school musical, drama feis or dance performance (e.g. Talent Contest, Choral Festival (Culwick), Seachtain na Gaeilge, etc).
- Assisting at parent-teacher meetings or Open Day.
Over the last two years, 3rd Year students may have found it challenging to get involved in extracurricular activities due to the pandemic. 3rd Years have still got time to get fully involved in the school community by joining a sports team, debating, drama, music, language exchanges, etc. At Alex there's so many ways students can get involved and we encourage our students to make the most of these extracurricular options.
CBA calendars 2022-2023
The CBA 1 and CBA 2 calendars for 2nd Year and 3rd Year have been published in line with the national timetable published by the NCCA. Students will be carrying out CBAs in the coming weeks and months during class time under the supervision of their teachers. Students will be awarded a descriptor for these CBAs and given feedback on their work as well during the process. Best of luck to all 2nd and 3rd Years completing their CBA 1 and CBA 2 work this year.
Download the 2nd Year CBA Calendar 2022/2023
Download the 3rd Year CBA Calendar 2022/2023